This was free and easy. I took about a yard and a half of white material, cut it into 2inch wide strips, and tied the strips around my existing lamp shade. I alternated a knot at the top with a knot at the bottom and so forth, and then trimmed the knots to the length I wanted. I really like how it turned out, and it even looks pretty at night! Ahhh bye bye burgundy!
The next little update I did was on a few couch pillows. I had made them with black burlap flowers on them several months ago...but the burlap turned from cute to ratty and were super scratchy to boot. I updated it with some softer, better wearing fabric flowers.
These are all over bloggy world so I'm sure no explanation is needed on how to make them. I just hot glued them on rather than sewing them.
All in all much better than scratchy burlap. The best thing about both projects is neither are very permanent. If I get tired of them I can rip them off and do something different. The other best thing is that they were free to do. If you don't have tons of fabric laying around you could always use an old sheet.