Thursday, March 21, 2013

DIY Kitchen Countertops


          Every now and then, you come across things (or whole rooms) in your house that just need a little sprucing up...you know, they just are lacking something. Sometimes you can't just put your finger on what that might be...


     ...and sometimes...you can figure it out pretty easily.


       If you read this post about my unfortunate pink kitchen, you know I had big plans for this unsightly room of mine. "Big plans" equals "big work", and in most cases, "big spending" as well. Work, I can handle, the money part on the other hand...well, we might just have to consider that one a bit. I decided to shop our options for counter tops. We needed something cost efficient and durable. 
       One thing we knew for sure, labor is the major cost of any home improvement, so we wanted to the work ourselves...even though we did not have a clue what we were doing!


         Obviously, the first thing we had to do, what get rid of few things.


       Then, using liquid nail and screws, we attached a new counter top using pine panels found in the lumber section at Lowes. You can buy these in different lengths and widths. We used 24 inch wide and 1 inch thick pieces.

 1-in x 24-in x 36-in Stain Kiln-Dried Kiln-Dried Elliotis Pine Panel
    My mister cut them to fit together around the corners and used a jig saw to cut out a spot for the sink. He screwed them on from underneath. I very dumbly deleted all of the pictures I took of this entire process, but it's pretty self explanatory. Glue, set the boards in place, and then screw. I pretty much think he did an amazing job getting everything to fit just right.


      At that point, I took over, and used an electric sander to even out all the cracks and make it baby smooth. The sink really should have been put in last, but we didn't figure that out until right about this point. Oh well. After sanding it down, I stained it with black stain.


      At this point, I was starting to wonder if this had been such a good idea after all. We were too far in to quit now, so next up was the varnish. I used a heavy duty Polyurethane and a sponge brush to apply it.


     I gave it six coats, lightly sanding between each coat. It looked immensely better with some shine!


    To be honest though, I still wasn't 100% sure I was on board with it though. It was all just so dark looking still, that I couldn't really tell if they were good or not. A little white paint to let the sunshine pour into that dingy old dark kitchen did the trick. They get my vote now, for sure and for certain!


      Sometimes, looking at what things cost can be quite disheartening ..but maybe, you're just looking in the wrong department? There's no law that says kitchen counters have to be ordered from the kitchen department. They actually might be hiding out in the lumber isle...or the roofing section, or on the cement shelf, or you name it!


       You can make just about anything work, if you are willing to give it a try...even if you've never done it before! What can it hurt? Most likely, even an imperfect job will be worlds better than what you started with!


    Things don't happen over night, but as with anything, persistence will pay off! And now that I've delivered this inspiring pep talk, I'm off to paint cabinet doors...which anyone within a 50 mile radius has probably heard me griping about in the last week! I don't see why we need cabinet doors anyway...
Have a great weekend!

Hebrews 11:1   Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

45 comments:

  1. I looks gorgeous!!!!
    Especially with the white sink and cabinets - I'm in love with this look!
    Great job!
    Hugs,
    Suzan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only problem is that they will scratch easily . They look great but you will have to baby them.

      Delete
  2. Absolutely gorgeous!! I would never think to have wood countertops but they are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW these look great! You are inspiring me to redo my own counter tops!I found you through Miss Mustard Seeds linky party!
    I just redid a side table in my most recent post! Take a look if you have some time! :)

    http://bluejayloves.blogspot.com/2013/03/side-table-makeover.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! What a difference! Looks beautiful and so much brighter! Great job! ( I also found you through MMS - the only FFF party link I clicked on :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. That looks amazing. I am so impressed. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks AWESOME!!! I've been thinking of doing wood counter tops, but thought it would cost a lot. I never thought about going to the lumber section at Lowes. Thanks for the idea. We already painted our cupboards white so we are half there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow. I am totally impressed. I even emailed it to my hubby since we're still trying to figure out our countertops. You left a comment on our fence board backsplash and I appreciate it! Your blogs looks great, by the way :)
    Marty@Marty's Musings

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow that turned out amazing! I personally do not have that patience (nor does my husband) to do that. but omg ur efforts paid off!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the black and white! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Smart thinking, clever project! Loved it even more when you painted everything white. Now your counter is like a jewel in your kitchen. Kudos to you and your husband!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks great!! The counter tops and the cupboards :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the look. I have been wanting to redo mine for a while now. One question - Did you use quarter round for the top edge of the counter backsplash?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melissa,
      So, embarrassingly, I don't actually know the answer to your question. It was just a board we found in the trim section that was tapered to be thinner at the top then the bottom. It's about 6 inches wide. I have no idea what it is called. I told you we didn't know what we were doing! =)I hope that helps a little.

      Delete
  13. Wow! Those counters turned out fabulous!

    Stopping by from under the table dreaming linky party.

    www.Makazhome.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Absolutely gorgeous! I never would have thought of using pine boards. I like the contrast of the white with the black. Your kitchen looks so inviting.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think I in love! So beautiful. This makes me so happy to see a different type of countertop. Seriously, I think I'm in love with your kitchen. :)
    Stopping by from Not Just a Housewife.

    Angela
    Angela Says: Tips for a Cleaner Home

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love wood countertops. I wish we were more DIY people. But that is not going to happen, so we just need to save.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow!! I would love if you'd share at our new link party -Give Me The Goods{1 Link Party,5 Blogs}
    Www.dimplesandpigtales.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is GORGEOUS! And you are so right that imperfectiosn here and there dont matter when the outcome of a DIY was way better than before. We painted out countertops, and we feel the same. Great job!

    Britt @ Creating Space for Five

    ReplyDelete
  19. these are just beautiful and I love that you thought outside of the countertop box! I mean really, isn't butcher block wood? This is just a little bit thinner.Great idea and color combo.
    Kim@reposhture.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. A-ma-zing! Love the black counters with your white cabinets! Looks clean!
    Selene @ Restoration Beauty

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful! Love the grain and the smooth glassy surface! Wow, what a difference in your kitchen with the counters and painted walls and cabinets. We just bought a 44 year old house, formica counters and dark wood cabinets... can't decide if I should paint them, but the more I see other people's painted light, the more I love it! I only wish my Mr. was more of a Mr. Handyman! Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. The color and grain is beautiful! And I love it with the white! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  23. OMyGoodness!! these are beautiful! thank you for stopping by and leaving a sweet comment about the bathroom floor. Love your countertop!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Really good job on this, Abby! If life's what you're looking for in your kitchen, this single piece undeniably supplies that. :) Just make sure that the countertop is properly sealed. It would be in a lot of contact with water and other elements once it is ready. :) Robbie @TNT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robbie, I'm looking at painting and sealing my countertops (tried the Rustoleum counter top paint and it turned out HORRIBLY). Can you recommend a sealer? 2 part epoxy scares me because I have no idea how to get it on the edges and I'm terrified of bubbles, etc but my research is telling me that's my best option. Unless you know some other magic?!

      Delete
  25. Upcoming Latest cars and vehicles, Latest Mazda Models, Racing Cars, International Sport Cars, Concept Cars, PS-Pod, Strange Vehicles, Nissan, Royce Corniche, Ford Concept Cars, Strange Vehicles, Mercedes and More Sport Cars and Vehicles with Pictures and Info
    WorldLatestVehicles.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. Beautiful kitchen pics! I want to restore my kitchen to its original 1950's style. Could you refer me to a tile vendor that can aid me in restoring my Kitchen Counter Tops in Woodstock GA?

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love the hardwood! Those are beautiful! You've inspired me to work on creative and inexpensive ways to get some new counter tops for my Edmonton home. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  28. We also tried painting ours, and I must say that the result was great. However, it didn’t last long since the paint got peeled off due to some factors. We installed real granite countertops that compliments the look of our kitchen as a replacement.

    Martin @GraniteBuster.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. My mom is doing some remodleing in her kitchen, and I am looking into some good counter tops in edmonton. Any suggestions for sources? Thanks for the help!

    ReplyDelete
  30. So it has been about 9 months since you did your counters, right? How are they holding up? I was thinking a counter like that would scratch and ding and dent really easy with daily use. It looks really beautiful but how is it turning out long term?

    ReplyDelete
  31. Teresa,
    I recently wrote a follow up post about the counter tops on my new blog. It should answer your questions, Thanks!
    Abby
    http://blog.chapterthirtyseven.com/10-month-check-up/

    ReplyDelete
  32. Is your lifestyle to a minimum, ultra-modern features or classic style charm, Corian Worktop offers an unequaled solution, clean the surface of a creative, original and solid form.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Top Ten Classified Website List, Pakistani Classified Sites, USA Classifieds, Indian Classifieds, Entertainment Articles, Entertainment News, Entertainment Pictures, Bollywood, Hollywood and Lollywood Pictures and Videos, Entertainment Latest updates, Hot Entertainment News and Pictures Funny Entertainment Pictures, lol Pictures, Funny Pictures and every thing you want...
    www.hotcurrentaffairs.com

    ReplyDelete
  34. Loved your posting on DIY Kitchen Counter-tops looking for some more great stuff and inspirational design ideas on the same and off-course some creative ideas to design & setup kitchen with stainless kitchen equipment would be highly appreciated

    ReplyDelete
  35. The DIY kitchen counter tops ideas are real amazing and much pretty, love the entire set up.

    ReplyDelete
  36. wondering how they have held up over the year? scratches?

    ReplyDelete
  37. Every now and then, you come across things (or whole rooms) in your house that just need a little sprucing up...you know, they just are lacking something. Sometimes you can't just put your finger on what that might be..Kansas City Kitchen Remodel

    ReplyDelete
  38. Hello,

    Excellent post,Your style of presentation is very impressive. I really love it, I think it will be help of all.

    Kitchen remodeling

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  39. Did you take up the entire existing counter top then lay the new boards down? Or did you remove the laminate sheet then lay the new boards down? Also did you use trim on the edge or did you sand it smooth? Thanks so much, they look great! Hubbs and I are thinking of doing this to ours!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Excellent post,Your style of presentation is very impressive. I really love it, I think it will be help of all
    Granite Shop

    ReplyDelete
  41. I came across your kitchen today while searching on countertops. I really like what you've done.

    ReplyDelete