Thursday, March 14, 2013

Industrial Style Desk Makeover


       We've been having some really lovely sunny days lately. Definitely not the sort of days I want to spend holed up inside slaving over some boring wall that needs painting. On a nice warm sunny day, the thing to do is dress your kids in grungy clothes and let them go stomp in the mud puddles to their little heart's content, while you pull out some random piece of junky furniture to fix up.


      I found this beauty at a thrift store and immediately liked the sort of old school industrial vibe it had. The top was particle board and the seat was some ratty vinyl stuff, so that all needed to come off. I freshened up all the metal with some spray paint.


      I needed a new seat for the chair, and decided to make my own with some scrap wood.


       Only one problem, I had no foam for the seat. Well, good thing I'm not picky about these sorts of things! An unused throw pillow did the trick for me just nicely.


      Using some fabric I found in my stash, I stapled it all directly to the back of the wood.


       It made just the nicest little seat you ever saw!


     There was one other problem with this little arrangement that I needed to do something about. The desk was just a smidgen too short for my rather tall self. I scrounged around amongst my treasures and found some wheels I had saved off of some discarded piece of something who knows how long ago. It really does pay off to save things you might be able to reuse! The wheels added just the needed amount of height. Wheels make anything niftier anyway.


       Luckily, I had some wood left over from making our counter tops (Which I am dying to show you, because I looooooooove them!) that was just the perfect size for the desk top.


      A coat of stain and two of poly later...one super cute desk!


       Totally more fun than painting walls, wouldn't you agree?


         This little desk is currently operating as my sewing table, and is pushed up against my horrifically ugly unpainted cinder block wall. Which pretty much is a daily reminder that I need to paint the thing, and fix the floor, and....ok, anyway, back to my cute desk...


      In other news, I'm in the midst of painting my kitchen...and if the tedious time consuming-ness of it doesn't kill me first, I'll be giving you the grand tour soon! I love what paint can do for a room! It sorta shocks my eyeballs when I walk in there, and I'm still at the priming stage! Love it!
P.S. I'm having a Spring sale in my shop, all bags 50% off!

Luke 6:35   But love ye your enemies, and do good, and lend, hoping for nothing again; and your reward shall be great, and ye shall be the children of the Highest: for he is kind unto the unthankful and to the evil.

6 comments:

  1. I love this. Very cool industrial look. I would love it if you would link up to my party.

    http://www.ifitsnotbaroquedesignblog.blogspot.com/2013/03/tuesday-link-party-10.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like all the collections of furniture thanks for sharing keep posting
    For more updates on recyled wooden furniture visit our websites at once.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a really good read for me. Must agree that you are one of the coolest blogger I ever saw.office seating for sale in ft lauderdale

    ReplyDelete
  4. Richard R. Cole Is expert of Outside tools and gadgets to Assist you in Choosing appropriate product among Tens of Thousands of Alternatives Chainsaw Sharpeners

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks great! Use Elcometer 500 to help you measure thickness when painting

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can certainly see your enthusiasm in the work you write. The world hopes for more passionate writers like you who are not afraid to say how they believe. Always follow your heart. beach home decor wholesale

    ReplyDelete