Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Boutique copycat outfit

     The other day, when I was out strolling through boutiques, a friend who was also along spied an outfit she really liked. She asked me if I thought I could copy it for her little girl. I'd never made a top like it before, but I do love to figure out new clothes styles. I pulled out a couple remnant pieces today and gave it a try. I never actually picked the outfit up in the store, so I have no idea what the back of theirs looked like. I made mine a halter top with elastic around the back for easy fitting.


      The top is a criss cross top.


     And of course, I had to make a little hair clip to match.


      I make all my clothing without patterns, and I've discovered,when copying things especially, if you think of a garment as a collection of shapes it is pretty easy to replicate it. For instance, this top is two triangles attached to a rectangle. The straps are also rectangles. You have to add the things like arm holes that make a garment fit a round body, but getting the shapes the right size are the main thing. Pants are simple once you understand how the slope should work. It works for me, but I am also no expert. Trial and error are my best teachers.

Linking to:
Someday Crafts
Tea Rose Home
Sew Much Ado
Simple Home Life
The Freckled Laundry
Just A Girl

6 comments:

  1. Looks great! I think that kids cloths are much more forgiving when you are not using a pattern. There is not much fitting involved. I usually have good luck with kids stuff, not so much stuff for me. You did a great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Abby! This is so cute! I have that same material...I must go find it!

    amber @ barbwired

    ReplyDelete
  3. Squealing over here!! This is SO SO adorable! Reminds me of the days when my twins were little (they're 20 now!) and I sewed almost all of their little outfits! I still sew for them, it's just not as fun and easy as it was back then! You did an amazing job on this!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute! I am all about copying boutique outfits!! This one turned out really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did a great job!

    I saw this on Tea Rose Home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely outfit! I love that you added the hair accessory too.

    ReplyDelete