Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Ruched curtains

     After I sewed the slipcovers for my dining room chairs, I decided I didn't like my kitchen curtains anymore. They were a large red block plaidish looking material...way too much plaid going on there, I decided. It looks cute on my chairs, but I'm not aiming for the fourth of July picnic look. I grabbed a scrap of black fabric and came up with this.


     They are super easy to make. You start with a rectangle longer than your window and hem it. Sew a pocket in the top for the rod.


     Mark your fabric on the back ever 16inches or so. Sew a strip of elastic where you marked. Mine are about 8inches long.

      Hang and you are all done! It adds a nice little scalloped look on the bottom and a bit of extra texture.


     See? When you do it yourself you can afford to be indecisive!

Linking to:
Tea Rose Home
Sew Much Ado
My Girlish Whims
Someday Crafts
The Freckled Laundry
Simple Home Life

5 comments:

  1. I am so happy you shared this. I have a rumpled valance over the kitchen window I hate but could not think how to get the scalloped look easily. Elastic?! Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your sweet comment on my blog. I love all your home redo's like the chairs and these curtains. They are just beautiful:>

    ReplyDelete
  3. very smart idea! Your new curtains look great.
    You did such a great job..
    Have a sweet day, hugs Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tip! These turned out beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Turned out beautifully! Looks great hanging above the cute little pots :)

    Thanks for linking up to Your Whims Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete