Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Candy Jar makeover...along with a bit of rambling

       I've been working on this jar set for about two weeks now, five minutes at a time whenever I can squeeze in some spare time. Ever noticed how much time and attention little people need? I've been thinking about that lately. My tendency is to get really frustrated with the many delays, crisis, messes, and constant clamor from my two little ladies. I have to remind myself that, just as we all soon will be breaking out the fall decor because of the passing season, this is a season in life that will pass quickly. I can either waste it by wishing it away, or enjoy those little people while they still think helping momma is the funnest game in town...even if it means it takes me two weeks to do a two hour project. There will be a season at some point in my future, when I can take a shower and do my hair all in the same day...and my house will be peaceful and clean. Until then, well, there is a reason I crop pictures on this blog! I guess I'll just enjoy the season while it lasts.
     OK, rambling over, back to my jars. I found this set at the thrift store for a whopping $7.

      It looked like it had been sitting in some one's barn for the last decade, but it totally had cuteness potential. I cleaned, scrubbed, and sanitized the thing and then gave the wood a clean coat of white paint. Everything always looks better with a little distressing in my opinion, so I took off some of the paint with sandpaper.

     I decided the sides looked a little bare, so I printed off a design I liked from the Graphics Fairy. I traced it onto contact paper to make a stencil.

      Cut it out with an exacto knife.

     Stuck it on the side.

      Traced it onto the wood with a paint pen.

     I filled it in with black paint using a small paint brush. I was able to use the same stencil for both sides by being super careful with it when I pealed it off the first side. I distressed the image with sandpaper after it dried. I covered the whole thing with a coat of polycrylic to seal the paint.

     Here is the finished product.

      For now, I have it sitting on a baker's rack I have in my dining room. I use it for pantry over flow items.

     I might hang some tags from the lids later on just for pretties, once I decide which pantry items to put in them.

     I think the design adds a nice touch to the sides.

     $7 can go a long way if you are willing to put a little work into something!

" To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:"
Ecclesiasties 3:1

Linking to:
Tea Rose Home
Sew Woodsy
Organize and decorate everything


  1. This is great! Thanks for sharing :)

  2. I had a canister set comparably to yours, several years ago...I redid it with spray paint and added candy to was there for the kids to eat at anytime...and it became so normal to have candy out that they ended up not eating it but their friends went nuts. Nice to see your project, it turned out fantastic!

  3. You are right... the design is perfect!