Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Sewing Tip - Fail Proof Exposed Zippers


      Exposed zippers are one of those things that I really didn't care for the first time I saw one. I've warmed up to them though, and now I quite like them. They add just a touch of modernness that I like. Here is a super simple way to put one on anything you've made, or bought for that matter. I'm applying one here, on a silk chiffon top I made for my Etsy shop.
     Start with a top laid out flat, like so.


     Find the center of the neckline. Center your zipper down the shirt and tape it on. Make sure the zipper pull is flush with the hemline.


        Start sewing the zipper to the shirt, as close to the teeth of the zipper as possible. Fold the extra zipper tape down at the top before you begin sewing.


      When you get to the base of the zipper, fold up the extra zipper tape under the zipper.


    Leave enough at the base for you to be able to sew around the mettle.


      When you get finished, remove the tape. Sew around the perimeter of the zipper, as close to the edge as you can get.


      Now, open the zipper.


      Use a fine pair of scissors and cut open the shirt.


     Trim the fabric as close to the seam line as you can get. Apply fray check to seal the edges.


      Enjoy your new top!


 



Proverbs 10:12   Hatred stirreth up strifes: but love covereth all sins. 
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment