Thursday, January 5, 2012

Whale Softie Sewing Tutorial


      I like toys, probably more than my kids. I don't go down the toy isle in stores, not because they will beg me for one, but because I'll want to buy them one. Weird? Maybe. I'll grow up one day. In the mean time, want to make a toy? One that tiny hands can hold...


      ...and has fun loopies to chew on?


      Great! Let's make a whale!


      Here's how. Get yourself a pattern, either by free handing it or printing one off the Internet.


       Trace it onto two pieces of cloth. (I used flannel) Cut out, and sew on two button eyes.


      Cut a few strips of four inch long ribbon.


      Pin your whale, right sides together. Loop your ribbon and pin at the top. Make sure the loops are inside and the ends sticking out.


      Sew all the way around, leaving a space open to flip it right sides out. Flip it out, and you should have this.


       Stuff generously with fiber fill. I stuffed in a few bells also to add a little fun to it.


      Hand stitch the opening closed, and you are finished! Hand it over to a sweet little lady who will then drool, hug and gurgle all over it.


      See? Aren't toys fun?!

1 Timothy 6:6 But godliness with contentment is great gain.

Linking to:
Simple Home Life
Freckled Laundry
Sun Scholars
Tatertots and Jello

9 comments:

  1. Love your whale, but the baby is SOOOOO cute! Look at the great head of hair. I am a new follower visiting from Sun Scholars. Vicky from Mess For Less

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto exactly what Vicky said! The whale is super cute, but the baby is SOOOO adorable! I love babies with tons of hair :) Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting on my Craft Corner Organization! I'm your newest follower... hope you'll follow me too :) Have a great weekend!
    xo,
    Laurie @ Gallamore West

    ReplyDelete
  3. The little whale is so cute, as is the model baby. So very cute! I spent quite a while looking over your lovely blog. The tutorials are wonderful. I may have to have a go at the duffle bag it is perfect for the beach. Deb

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww, great idea. And the baby is too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness, she is adorable!!! I LOVE this--and so quick and simple! I think my new little lady will need one, too! =)

    Thanks for the great tutorial!

    Janelle
    homemadethisandthat.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your little one is adorable, and the whale toy is so sweet. But may I suggest removing the buttons and replace by stitching eyes...just for safety? Thanks for sharing the cute pictures.
    Annie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Buttons are a VERY bad idea on a toy for small children. Can I suggest embroidery eyes or a simple felt appliqué? Besides that your whale (and baby) is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete